Women's Comics

I read This One Summer by Mariko Tamaki and Jilian Tamaki. This coming of age story revolves around two girls who meet up during the summer in a small beach town. This comic stands out because of its attention to nuance and its ability to capture the mundane. We are shone the everyday lives of two girls figuring things out. They talk about feelings, love, curiosities... The tone is slow-paced and peaceful. We also see the parallels between the complicated adult life and the teenager's lives that have their own fair share of drama. Although the story had a lot of heart to it, I personally did not find it to be very relatable to me, because when I was their age, I did not think about much and just played outside all day. I did not go through such tumultuous times and self realization to the extent they did. I enjoy the story now because I understand the struggles, however I do see this comic as having a more mature audience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAUS

Understanding comics

Assessment